Sunday, April 26, 2009

Take the Lead--especially when you're right!


The Last Duet -- Ottley Reunion 2008

Somehow we've been privileged to enjoy a duet from dad and mom during the last couple reunions. You'll notice they ignore the prompt and start the song (When It's Springtime in the Rocky's) with the correct words and pitch. They know their favorite songs quite well.

I'd give a nickle or two to know what tender moments they both experienced during this duet--dad smiles at someone, and mom sheds a tear or two near the end. Music has always been a part of their life--with family gathered around. It has been a way to unite us, invite good feelings and communicate our love to one another, especially since it was always wholesome and uplifting in nature. Our parents taught us well.

While I was at their home during dad's illness, mom went to the piano and played some familiar tunes. She always start a medley with "Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree With Anyone Else but Me". Once after she played that tune alone, she explained that that was their song--maybe her's for him. Anyway, she continued by saying that she never loved any man like she did dad, and added, "...I could just eat him up", as she put her fingers to her lips.

Once while playing a familiar medley, she began playing a song that was very dear to me. I wondered if she knew it was a particularly tender melody for me--I sat back and enjoyed her rendition. Suddenly she broke out in tears, stopped playing and held her hands over her eyes as she wept. I went to her and ask what the matter was, "it reminds me of Jeremy", she said. The song was, "For Baby, For Bobby".

Anyway, music mellows us and helps us recall special and tender moments. I find myself humming or singing parts of "Little Green Valley" and "How Great Thou Art" lately. They were especially touching to me during dad's funeral, and have always been tags of good family associations for me. I have always enjoyed singing with my dad, brother and sisters, while mom played the piano in her classy, smooth manner.

2 comments:

Jenni S said...

That is really sweet. I don't remember hearing them sing there. I must have been off helping some kiddies.

I like your picture at the top. To make it smaller, you need to click the box that says "shrink to fit" and it will make it smaller. Love you dadio!!!

K&E Walden said...

Thank you for your special memories of mom and dad. You always know how to make me cry. Maybe I am just to big of a ballbaby when it comes to sentiment and moma nd dad also. I don't know where I would be without the gift of music and my parents inspiring me to sing and play the piano.